Sunday, May 16, 2010

Second Marathon was a Good One!

2010-05-16 11.31.58_Cleveland_Ohio_USI thoroughly enjoyed running in my second marathon in Cleveland.  The weather was great with the temps staying in the 50s throughout the race.

I finished the race in 4:18:48.  I’m really happy with this time.  I feel like I redeemed myself after running in my first marathon in December at the Dallas White Rock Marathon.  I know it was my first marathon, but I wanted to do better than my 4:37 finish.  I gave into the fatigue at the end of that race.  This time I pushed through and gritted through the last 4 grueling miles.


Not bad results above… 1,276th out of 11,541 marathoners. 934th out of 5,108 men and 155 out of 728 in the Men 40-44 age division.  First half at 2:08:09 and the last half at 2:10:39.  The last half was pretty good since I had 2 long breaks.

As mentioned in my previous post I was planning on running negative splits.  I did OK with this, but it was harder than I thought to stick with running the first 8 miles at a 10:00 minute pace.  I was quicker than originally planned, but I didn’t think 10-20 seconds would hurt me too badly.  I did come up short in the last miles in trying to hit my target of 9:00 minute miles, but all in all, I’m OK with that.  I ran this marathon so much better than the first one.

I listened to my Android phone for most of the race except for when there were bands or other musical happenings.  It was cool to see a group that were like Stomp.  I wanted to listen to the Black Eyed Peas station on Pandora, but it lost connection after a few miles.  So I switched to Briana’s Playlist for most of the race.  After that, I listened to another playlist that brought me through.  For the last couple of months, I’ve been listening to music while running.  It gives me a different type of focus and minimizes the noise of the pain in my legs.  :)

I only stopped when I saw my family at miles 6, 13 & 21.  I also had to stop a couple of other times.  I had a long stop when I had to take care of some potty business on mile 18 and a longer water stop.

It was great having family support at the race.  Gary, my brother-in-law would call me to find out where I was and give me updates to where they were going to be.  He would tell me where they were going to be and so I would tell myself to hold on and I’d be able to take a short break when I see them.

I saw my family again at mile 25, but I didn’t stop.  I just ran by and gave them 2 thumbs up as I ran by.  I willed myself so hard to keep running I was going to stop at this point.

Once I finished, I gave Ursula a call and cried like a little girl.  I told her that I wished that she was there so that I could fall into her arms.  I missed her so much.  Yes, I get emotional at the end of running a marathon.  It’s a part of the experience.

Now for the details.  My mile splits were as follows:

  • Mile 1: 9:59
  • Mile 2: 9:43
  • Mile 3: 9:49
  • Mile 4: 9:31
  • Mile 5: 9:34
  • Mile 6: 9:39
  • Mile 7: 9:39
  • Mile 8: 9:40
  • Mile 9: 9:40
  • Mile 10: 9:34
  • Mile 11: 9:41
  • Mile 12: 9:24
  • Mile 13: 9:56
  • Mile 14: 9:27
  • Mile 15: 9:26
  • Mile 16: 9:21
  • Mile 17: 9:23
  • Mile 18: 12:38 (long potty break)
  • Mile 19: 9:33
  • Mile 20: 9:27
  • Mile 21: 9:30
  • Mile 22: 11:29 (visit with the family)
  • Mile 23: 9:28
  • Mile 24: 9:44
  • Mile 25: 9:48
  • Mile 26: 9:22
  • Mile 26.52: 8:58

I’m glad that I got an opportunity to run this race.  I would definitely run it again if I get the chance.

1 comment:

Spamboy said...

Good job with your pace -- those are some good consistent times. Completely understand the crying post-marathon; I don't do that after a 1/2, but I always break down after 26.2